Sound and Music Communities
- Xavier Serra, leader
- Mohamed Sordo, Postdoc
- Frederic Font, PhD student
- Gerard Roma, PhD student
- Gopala Krishna Koduri, PhD student
- Sertan Şentürk, PhD student
- Sankalp Gulati, PhD student
- Ajay Srinivasamurthy, PhD student
- Alastair Porter, researcher
- Rafael Caro, PhD student
- Dara Dabiri, Master student
- Hector Parra, researcher
- Sergio Oramas, PhD student
- Georgi Dzhambazov, PhD student
We are interested in the cultural and community aspects of Sound and Music Computing, which means, in the development of music information processing techniques by modeling sounds and music together with the user community that is around them. This research is being carried out in the context of CompMusic, Freesound.org and SIGMUS.
In the context of CompMusic we are interested in the development of new music description techniques through the study of the art music traditions of India (Hindustani and Carnatic), Turkey (Turkish-makam), Maghreb (Arab-Andalusian), and China (Beijing Opera) (ex: Serra 2012; Serra, 2011).
In the context of Freesound we are interested in issues of social computing and semantic web, studying how we can improve the technologies behind Freesound through community profiling (ex: Font et al., 2012; Roma et al., 2012).